Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Not Fried "Refried Beans"
I know it says refried in the name, but I never really realized that beans were fried until my neighbor said that they had to buy vegetarian beans because the normal refried beans were fried in lard. That's a little gross, but it won't keep me from eating them occasionally. But if I can be a little healthier and have something that tastes good I may as well. Really my "refried beans" are just pureed but I think I make them in an awesome way. This is a little time consuming, in a do a little bit and then leave them for a long time way, so you want to make them a day (and a night) before you need them.
Ingredients:
1 lb dry pinto beans
1 cup salsa
Small Appliances Used:
Crock Pot
Blender
Directions:
Put the beans and 8 cups of cold water in a large bowl and let them soak for 6 to 8 hours.
Drain and rinse the beans, then put them in the crock pot with 6 cups of water or more. Set to low and let them cook for 8 to 10 hours.
Let the pot cool for an hour or so, and then drain the beans by pouring them into a strainer and then rinse them.
Put half of the beans and half of the salsa into the blender. Blend until it looks like refried bean consistency. In the blender, it looks like it could be confused for a chocolate milk shake. That might be a great idea for an April Fool's Day joke.
If the beans cooled too long they may need to be reheated, and that can be done on the stove or in the microwave.
To store them, you can put them in the fridge for about a week or so, or you can freeze them. I freeze them by putting them in ice cube trays and put those cubes in a bag after they are frozen. Canning would also be an option.
I hope this helps you be a little healthier, save some money and to have some great tasting bean burritos!
For other food tips check out these posts:
Making the Most of Fresh Lemons
The day after a Farmer's Market
DIY On-the-Go Applesauce
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment